Practitioner's Guide to the Justice Reinvestment Act
Please feel free to download the handy guide to this landmark criminal justice reform legislation
Delegate Barron's Concerns Regarding Legality of Pretrial Practices Prompts AG Letter to Judiciary Rules Committee
- Read the AG's letter to the Rules Committee
Delegate Barron's Concerns About Bail Confirmed!
- Read the press release from Delegates Barron, Dumais, Hettleman, Korman, and Lierman about the Attorney General's legal advice on cash bail.
- Read the original request from Delegate Barron and his colleagues.
- October 11, 2016 advice letter from Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh
- Effective October 1, 2016 new laws have taken effect!
- Over the summer, Maryland Senate President Thomas V. "Mike" Miller has issued a strong statement in support of the new Prince George's County Regional Medical Center in response to a poorly informed opinion piece published by MarylandReporter.com.
Erek in the News
June 1, 2016 - The Washington Post: How Maryland came to repeal mandatory minimums for drug offenders
May 25, 2016 - The Sentinel: Leaders voice opinions on SafeTrack
May 16, 2016 - Seventh State: Ideas for Metro
May 9, 2016 - Josh Kurtz/Center Maryland: House Freshmen Honor Roll
April 4, 2016 - Baltimore Sun: Maryland House approves criminal justice overhaul
March 29, 2016 - The Bay Net: Congressman Hoyer hosts discussion on criminal justice reform
February 26, 2016 - Maryland Reporter: Bills seek to boost government transparency, accountability
February 19, 2016 - Baltimore Sun: Md. should mandate use of prescription drug monitoring programs
August 2, 2015 - The Washington Post: More oversight for Metro
April 22, 2015 - The Kojo Nnamdi Show: Men in Maryland Women's Caucus
April 4, 2015 - The Washington Post: Four men join the Maryland Women's Caucus
January 23, 2015 - The Daily Record: WTP laywer wins Delaware death-row case
One of my first acts as your Delegate was to team with Delegate Marc Korman from Montgomery County to establish the WMATA/Metro Work Group in the General Assembly to bring more focused oversight to Metro (see August 2, 2015 - The Washington Post: More oversight for Metro). We send for too much in taxpayer money for what we receive from the agency and our goal is to push for better service, safety, reliability and transit oriented development around our metro stations -- Metro is important to allow it to continue to fail.
Please check back to this website for up-to-date information about the latest with Metro.
- Today, May 7, 2016, a federal agency ordered new safety steps for Metro after some of the latest issues -- those orders may be found here: FTAorders
- Here is the safe track plan announced by Metro GM Paul Wiedefeld on Friday, May 6, 2016: SafeTrackPlan -- Additionally, here is a link to video that provides a message from Mr. Wiedefeld: https://youtu.be/fZ3dpWV4uJU